Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sweet Potato Fennel Soup

With 3 ingredients, this blended soup is comforting to the soul and easy in the kitchen. Fennel adds a lovely herb flavor to these beta-carotene rich potatoes.

{Pin it}
Initially, I wanted to make a soup that would be nourishing for new moms. My sister and a few friends have had new babies this Fall. It must be the season! And I wanted something that would be delicious and comforting to these ladies and their bundles of breastfed blessings.

Fennel (as mentioned here) is really great for digestion. As an added benefit for new mommies intent on breastfeeding, it can also help calm fussy babies (as carried in the breastmilk). Cinnamon, heavy spices and dairy can be extra-aggravating for breastfed infants but thankfully herbs like fennel can be soothing.

Having a surplus of sweet potatoes in my pantry and fennel on the brain (from another recipe I hope to post soon), I knew these flavors were destined for one great soup and was I ever right! I brought this soup with a lentil salad to my sisters and the next day she called for the recipe.

It also travels well. When using the bouillon cubes, I use three cups of water when blending and store in large mason jars. When reheating, add another cup of water to the jar and swirl around to get the extra soup clinging to the sides.

{Pin it}
Sweet Potato Fennel Soup
4 sweet potatoes (which I think are technically yams if they are bright orange in color)
1/2 tsp fennel seeds, whole *
2 cubes Rapunzel vegetable bouillon with herbs** + 4 cups boiling water
      or 4 cups vegetable broth

1. Roast sweet potatoes in preheated 450 degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until completely tender.
2. Scoop the sweet potato out of the flesh and add to high speed blender with fennel seeds and broth. Blend and serve!

Enjoy!

*This soup may also be made with fennel bulb for a richer fennel flavor. Roast the fennel bulb with the sweet potatoes and add 1/4 tsp fennel seeds instead of the 1/2 tsp.

**I've bought Rapunzel vegetable bouillon from Azure Standard and Vitacost (here's a $10 credit for your first purchase). I buy my fennel seeds from Mountain Rose Herbs.

I'm finishing up shopping and DIYing for Christmas. We just do stockings at our house and it's been fun to find healthy stocking stuffers. If you're looking for some more stocking stuffers consider checking out your local health food store or shopping online at amazon. Some fun and healthy ideas are Arnica Gel(which is only $4.67 when coupon is clipped below price listed - almost half the price of your local drug store), Cranberry Tablets, Astragalus Root Capsules (thankfully this comes in a pack of four so can fill many stockings), Rescue Remedy, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil(comes in pack of 2), and soy candles.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good. I've got everything but the fennel seeds. Will have to make this soon as soup is so warming on a cold winter day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...