Thursday, August 15, 2013

Zucchini and Citrus Gazpacho with Rosemary (tomato-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free and vegan)

Gracious Granny gave me this wonderful zucchini from her garden - this lovely emerald jewel that's the size of a newborn... As it sat in the passenger seat on our way home, I wondered what delicious concoction to make with it. Baking it in a yummy, savory treat was my first thought but baking is a lot less appealing to me in this heat (I know - shocking - right?). I wanted a raw and vibrant way to prepare this wonderful, garden-fresh vegetable. My brain eventually drew up this recipe in my mind. Something easy and versatile... and I've aspired to creating more easy and versatile recipes on the blog. The strange and weird recipes won't disappear but I want to cater to all (hopefully) of my sweet readers' recipe wishes.


And so the fresh green and tomato-free gazpacho was born.


Just a question but can I call it gazpacho if it is tomato-free? The citrus provides the fresh acidity that tomatoes would and the zucchini makes it smooth so it reminded me so much of the gazpacho I enjoyed with my sister in Spain.

I do miss her...

And what better way to remember someone by but with food? Yummy, delicious food?

Also, if anyone has any extra zucchini, give me a ring. I'll come relieve you of it.

A note about this cold, summer soup - 4 cloves of garlic makes for a very garlic-y gazpacho. I recommend 2 cloves if you are not a fan of strong garlic. And the trick to a good gazpacho is the best quality of Extra Virgin Olive Oil that you can find - I brought mine back from Spain. Sadly, my supply is dwindling.

Fresh rosemary is a lovely addition to this soup and really blends well with both the zucchini and citrus. It also adds extra antioxidants.




Zucchini and Citrus Gazpacho with Rosemary
1 larger garden Zucchini (or two small store-bought)
3-4 citrus fruits (I used one large grapefruit, one large orange and a little lime but feel free to use what you have on hand and you can even add some freshly grated peel as long as it's organic)
Sprig of Rosemary
4 glugs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/4 tsp sea salt

Chop the zucchini and add to high-speed blender or food processor. Juice the citrus fruits with a lemon juicer (add some orange peel zest if you are so inclined) and add to blender along with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt. Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!

Serve as an appetizer, on the side of some cooked chicken, or add cooked and cooled quinoa in dishes before serving for extra protein. I drank two cups for lunch this morning and found it surprisingly filling. Cheers to cold summer soup!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you just solved the "problem" of the never-ending pile of courgettes (zucchini) in my fridge! My plants don't seem to want to stop producing! This soup is so different, I'd love to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...